Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore

Genre: teen adventure and science fiction
Age Group: Young Adult
Series and Book #: Lorien Legacies, book 1
Pages: 440
Synopsis: Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.
Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.
But they know.
They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They killed them all. I am Number Four. I am next.

~~

Oh my goodness, finally I've read this book! And loved it! Lore managed to give you enough about Lorien and why Number Four is on Earth, that it was informational without being overwhelming.

Number Four was a good main character I thought. He had enough experience with having to move around and you learned things with him rather than you having to catch up with him. And his learning more 'human' emotions as he connected with Sam and Sarah in Ohio was nice. I wouldn't have wanted a hollow MC. Henri was pretty cool, too. To a certain degree, he was very particular with how close Number Four was getting with Sam and Sarah, but he let him do it because he had experienced love on Lorien and he had had friends, too, and he knew how it felt.

Overall, I Am Number Four is one of my favorite books, definitely. It had enough mystery, science fiction, and action that it always kept me reading, so much so that I didn't want to put it down. Lore built an amazing world that I think it so cool, and scary to a high degree. I mean, the Mogadorians? Hello, freaky! I loved the characters and the plot and I can't wait for the sequel!

The Cover: I love this cover. It caught my eye the first time I saw it and I think it opens it to girls and guys. The branding is a clever add-on. The text builds suspense also: Three are dead. I am Number Four.

On the Movie: I liked the book better than the movie, even though I saw the movie while I was halfway through the book. In the movie, it moves along faster than the book and Henri is by far way more mean than in the book. Number Four is more rebellious, and less compliant. They also add more action scenes in the movie, probably because it is a movie. They get the police involved and whatnot when in the book, the police are oblivious as most of the characters. But the movie had its pluses. I loved that there was a little more of Sarah, as in she figures it out on her own more than Number Four telling her. The involvement with Sam's dad also adds more suspense to the movie.You see more of Six, who's so awesome. And there's a stone that tells Six and Four where the other numbers are, which makes it easier on Six and Four, rather than in the book where they have no idea where the others are hiding. It was a amazing movie, and I loved it.

What do you think? Is the book better than the movie, or vice versa?

No comments:

Post a Comment