Sunday, January 16, 2011

Vampire Crush by A. M. Robinson

Genre: teen fantasy
Age Group: Young Adult
Series and Book #: no series, book 1
Pages: 416
Synopsis: I swear, my life was always totally normal. Normal house, normal family, normal school. My looks are average, I don't have any superpowers, no one's showing up to tell me I'm a princess--you get the picture. But when my junior year started, something not normal happened. There were new kids at school...new kids with a wardrobe straight out of a 19th-century romance novel, and an inexplicable desire to stay at school until sundown. And on top of that, James Hallowell showed up. James, who stole my sandwiches in fourth grade and teased me mercilessly through middle school. James, who now seems to have the power to make my heart race any time he comes near. But something weird is going on. Because James rarely goes out during the day. And he seems stronger than your typical guy. And he knows the new kids, all of whom seem to be harboring some kind of deep secret....

~~

I know that the synopsis sounds really dumb, and honestly, it looks like a Twilight wanna be. But once I started it, it was clear that this had no intention of being a Twilight wanna be.

This was hilarious, sarcastic, witty, and a whole different look on vampires. It mixes popular culture with the original vampire myths, which is very hard to do when you have Stephanie Meyer as your competition. Robinson wrote Sophie as a normal girl who wants to stay normal and doesn't mind her obscurity in high school. And then the new kids come, and she doesn't think they're normal from the beginning considering that one (namely one named Violet) wears dresses from the mid-1800's.

Speaking of the vampires, they were so funny! They hardly knew anything about modern day and were still living in their times, even though they knew what was happening around them. I thought the plot was just about Sophie figuring out that her classmates were vampires, but then it got way more interesting when you figure out that Vlad (main evil vampire) wants to find a girl that may bring him out of obscurity. So awesome!!!

Over all, Vampire Crush was adorable, witty, and hilarious. Sophie was a sweet and strong MC who knew what had to be done and was determined to get it done. And James, oh my goodness, James. Amazing!! It was really funny when he read her thoughts when she didn't realize it. I could go on and on about this book, but I'll just say that you should add this to your TBR pile or your MRL. This is one of those diamond-in-the-rough books!

The Cover: I don't really get this cover, and I don't think that it portrays the book well, but I like the little bat in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment