Sunday, January 30, 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Genre: teen fantasy
Age Group: Young Adult
Series and Book #: Paranormalcy Trilogy, book 1
Pages: 352
Synopsis: Evie's always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only one who can see through paranormals' glamours. But Evie's about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal.

~~

I read this book I believe last summer and I was thinking about how wonderful it was a week ago and how surprised I was that I hadn't yet reviewed it. So here we go into a total realm of awesome.

Paranormalcy was one of those books I kept seeing everywhere. Everyone was talking about it, blogs were raving, and when one of my friends bought it, I immediately asked if I could borrow it. A few hearty laughs later and I was beaming at Evie and the excellent teenage writing of White. This book was so awesome.

Evie is such an adorable character, and I love her Taser (that's pink...and BeDazzled). I just fall in love with her on the very first page. What she's going through and how she thinks about it really is part of the main focus of the book; she's worked for the IPCA her entire life and when she meets Lend it all changes. She goes with him and sees what life's like outside of the IPCA; something she's never really gotten a chance to do. She's witty, funny, and also very serious, especially when something happens to her best friend.

The side characters were wonderful too. White really knew how to weave Evie with the side characters so you could see how Evie really depended on the people around her. Reth was one of my favorite characters, also; I love cocky, clever, and evil characters for some strange, strange reason.

Overall, Paranormalcy is just one of those rare, out-of-this-world awesome books. It's unique and special. It even features mermaids, which aren't exactly popular in YA but I still love them. White has done an amazing job with this first novel and I can't wait for the second, Supernormalcy, coming sometime (I hope) in the near future.

The Cover: It's dark, but light. The model looks a lot like how I pictured Evie. Even the dress and hair style is featured in the book! So pretty, and so appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment