Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely Series #1) by Melissa Marr


Synopsis: Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. When the rules that have kept Aislinn safe from them stop working, everything is suddenly on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

~~

Even though this book was published in 2007, I really want to blog about it because Darkest Mercy, the last book in the series, comes out February 22, 2011. This is one of my all-time favorite series. It has the perfect mix of darkness, love and loyalty. It kept me reading the entire time, and had me looking around myself more than usual.

When the books starts out, you can tell that Aislinn is terrably afraid of faeries. She grown up with the idea that they are horrible monsters never to be trusted, and she believes that. Of course, when she meets Keenan, everything spins wildly out of control and as the book goes on, you can tell she's trying to decide herself wheter or not faeries are all bad. As she tries to pick up the pieces of her encounter with faeries, she's also trying to protect her grandmother and Seth, her best friend. But Seth, being adorble as he is, knows that something's up and eventually is thrown into the world with Aislinn.

Keenan isn't one of my most favorite characters, and as the book went on, I screamed a lot, wondering how Keenan could be so insensitive and cruel to his best friend, Donia. But I understood his predicament in a way. He was bound by his mother, after she killed his father and he was trying to get revenge. Which is never good, but I couldn't blame him. Especially when I met his mother in the written word. Ugh.

Donia was, by far, my favorite character in the entire book and I thought that she was strong, independant and loyal to the law binding her. Even with Beria's (Keenan's mother) threats, she remained strong and didn't flinch.

Overall, I loved this book. Marr spun a beautiful tale that mixes darkness, loyalty and love into one delicious batter. Aislinn was sweet and strong; Keenan was infuriatingly persistant but sweet; Seth was ah-mazing; and Donia was stong but soft when it came to Keenan. Marr had just the right amount of creepy-cool to keep me staying up all night staring around myself, huddled down in blankets. The climax at the end left me breathless, although I reread it mostly because I thought it went too fast. Amazing. I would suggest this if you're in a darker mood, but also want a good romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment