Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nightlight: A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon


Synopsis: About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him--which I assumed was wildly out of his control--that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, genealogically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me. And thus Belle Goose falls in love with the mysterious and sparkly Edwart Mullen in the Harvard Lampoon's hilarious send-up. Pale and klutzy, Belle arrives in Switchblade, Oregon, looking for adventure, or at least an undead classmate. She soon discovers Edwart, a super-hot computer nerd with zero interest in girls. After witnessing a number of strange events--Edwart leaves his Tater Totsuntouched at lunch! Edwart saves her from a flying snowball!--Belle has a dramatic revelation: Edwart is a vampire. But how can she convince Edwart to bite her and transform her into his eternal bride, especially when he seems to find girls so repulsive?

~~

HELLO TO ANY TWILIGHT FANS (OR NOT FANS) OUT THERE!

I got this book for my birthday this year when I was still in my Twi-Hard stage of the books. My friend had read it herself and she thought it was absolutely hilarious. Me, too. This is the cutest/funniest parody's I have ever read (although I haven't read many parody's in my lifetime). It's only 154 pages (344 pages less than the actual Twilight book itself) but that's alright. They manage to squeeze in most of the scenes along with lovely little rewrites that left me rolling and laughing on the floor.

I actually like Belle better than Bella, because she puts herself out there. She thinks she's exactly like Bella in every aspect except that she doesn't have a vampire boyfriend. And that her mom is more immature than Bella's mom. And that her step dad is just as immature as her mother. Also, that he dad is the only window-wiper in their town. Which, I guess, is a big job. Belle has all the things that Bella had. She has the best friend whom she's never seen since she was small, she has the mom who doesn't really know how to care for herself, she has a step dad and her father is an important part of the community. Oh, yeah, and she thinks she's in love with a vampire.

Overall, I think that this book is really cute and funny. I would suggest reading Twilight first if you haven't already so you can get the jokes that The Harvard Lampoon is getting at. It's more of a quick read if you're in a lull on the library holding lists or you're trying to decide what to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment