Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry


Synopsis: When Meg's family moves to a small house in the country, she must get used to many new things. She's annoyed about being stuck sharing a bedroom with her older sister, Molly. They have no common interests, and it's hard for Meg to hide her resentment of Molly's beauty and popularity. Just as Meg begins adjusting to her new surroundings, she feels that Molly is being a real nuisance again. But it's soon evident that Molly's constant grouchiness, changing appearance, and other complaints are not just part of a new mood. The day Molly is rushed to the hospital, Meg has to accept the fact that something is terribly wrong with her sister. On that day, Meg's world changed forever. And although she's hurting and frightened, maybe it's not too late for Meg to show Molly what she truly feels.

~~

Totally inappropriate for winter time, I know, but this was the only book on my shelf that I remembered well enough to blog about and besides, it's a good book.
This is a really quick read (only 154 pages) and I bought it, actually, for about $6.00. This isn't something I would usually read. Generally, I read dark fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal. Not realistic fiction. But this was really good. Meg is a great character, realistic and relatable. Near to the beginning, I thought she was really annoying. She always compared herself to Molly, always telling herself how much she was unlike her sister. Molly seemed really nice before she got sick. But Lowry has her get sick really fast, not giving me, at least, much time to see the relationship between the two sisters when Molly was still healty.

The secondary characters are a big part of Meg's healing. They aren't really focused on; Lowry just shows us them from the surface, in Meg's point of veiw. You don't really see Meg's parents as much. They are very much a part of the book, and in Meg's resentment of her sister, but they're not stong secondary characters. The storngest secondary character, in my opinion, was Will, the old man who lived down the street from them in their country home.

Over all, this book was a relatable realistic fiction. Not usually my favorite genre, A Summer to Die wasn't that bad. I thought that Meg had to deal with a lot, and she dealt with it well, trying to carry on without her sister. Lowry is one of my favorite, more classic authors and I thought this book was one of her best.

The Cover: There are two covers, and of the two, I liked this one better. I love the link of the story and cover, which doesn't usually happen in books. It sets the mood for the book well, giving it a sad-summer feeling, in my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment