Sunday, August 4, 2013

Passion by Lauren Kate

Genre: fantasy
Series and Book #: Fallen Series #3
Pages: 420
Summary:

Luce would die for Daniel.
 
And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way….
 
Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime…going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel…and finally unlock the key to making their love last.
 
Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history. Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames…forever.
 
--------

"You knew it when I followed you to the top of Corcovado in Rio, when you wanted to see the statue up close. You knew it when I carried you two sweaty miles to the River Jordan after you got sick outside Jerusalem. I told you not to eat all those dates. You knew it when you were my nurse in that Italian hospital during the first World War, and before that when I hid in your cellar during the tsar's purge of St. Petersburg. When I scaled the turret of your castle in Scotland during the Reformation, and danced you around and around at the king's coronation ball at Versailles. You were the only woman dressed in black. There was that artists' colony in Quintana Roo, and the protest march in Cape Town where we both spent the night in the pen. The opening of the Globe Theatre in London. We had the best seats in the house. And when my ship wrecked in Tahiti, you were there, as you were when I was a convict in Melbourne, and a pick-pocket in eighteenth-century Nîmes, and a monk in Tibet. You turn up everywhere, always, and sooner or later you sense all of the things I've just told you. But you won't let yourself accept what you feel might be the truth."
Fallen by Lauren Kate, page 357


I liked this installment of the Fallen series because we get to glimpse into Luce's past lives. Thankfully, she's looking for something more concrete in her and Daniels' relationship that isn't just blind passion. Also, Lauren Kate includes Daniel's perspective as he travels back in time to find Luce. Not only was I able to experience Luce's feelings, but also Daniel's, and it added some dimension to their relationship.

I wrote down the quote you can find at the beginning of this post when I was first reading Fallen, and I appreciated being able to recognize the places Luce and Daniel went because I'd heard them before. I have to give Lauren Kate props for her continuity.

Passion was my favorite novel of the bunch because I liked going back in time with Daniel and Luce. I, too, wanted to figure out how their relationship has developed over the ages. And trust me, the end is shocking, if not a bit crafty on Lauren Kate's part.

The Cover: Not my favorite at all. The Fallen covers are dark and the bright splotches of  clouds threw me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment