Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mind Games by Kiersten White

Genre: science fiction
Series and Book #: unknown
Pages: 237
Summary:

Two sisters. Bound by impossible choices. Are determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

James’s frozen face melts into a smile. “Do you want to know the trick to getting in trouble under the watchful eye of a psychic?”

I think of the nailed-shut windows. I think of Clarice. I think of the two, the two, the two who are now zero. Tap tap. “Yes, I absolutely do.”

“Don’t plan it. Don’t even think about it. The second you get an inkling of what you could do, do it then. Never plan anything ahead of time. Always go on pure instinct.”


I smile. “I think I can do that."

--------

This has to be one of my favorite books. They way the book was structured, the characters, and the plot were all amazing. I could read Mind Games again and again and never get bored.

Fia was a perfectly broken character. She's been hurt and she deals with it by internalizing the pain. Her defiant nature keeps everyone away from her, granting her privacy in a place where nothing is private. Not thoughts, feelings, or the future. She was clever, funny, and continuously loyal to her sister. Despite everything she'd been through, she never cared so long as Annie was safe. Fia was soft and rough and her character was just impeccably well written. 

Annie, like her sister, deals with the pain. But she remains optimistic and hopeful where her sister has come to terms with their entrapment. Annie was very naive to their situation throughout the entire book. It was only until she actually heard that Keane didn't really care for her that she started to realize Fia was right all those times she'd said the Keane Foundation was wrong. But I suppose when you're blind, its hard to distrust everyone you meet. Annie was a perfect contrast to Fia. 

I loved it. Hands down. It is confusing at first. Kiersten doesn't provide any background information whatsoever. Even the summary is vague. Though I didn't have any information on the backgrounds of the characters, it was a brilliant novel. Kiersten slowly reveals the details of how Fia and Annie managed to become intertwined with the Keane Foundation. She flips back and forth between the present and the past. Its was a wonderful way to write this book. I'm looking forward to more. 

The Cover: I like the varying images over the girl's face. Reminds me of Annie's visions and Fia's face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment