Thursday, August 8, 2013

Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Genre: fantasy, paranormal romance
Series and Book #: Caster Chronicles #4
Pages: 451
Summary:

I’d had nightmares about him before. Before I knew him, or at least knew he was going to be Ethan. But this wasn’t like anything I’d ever seen in any nightmare. It was real.
 
Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves.
 
Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan’s return, vowing to do whatever it takes—even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.
 
Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series.
 
---------

I don't really know why there is a fourth book. I think Kami and Margaret could have made it a trilogy and called it a day. Beautiful Redemption seemed like a novel they tacked onto the end because there were some loose ends that needed tying. There weren't any crucial moments in this book that there couldn't have been tucked into the first three novels.

Other than the apparent pointlessness of this book, it was fine. I liked both Ethan's world the dead and Lena's land of the living. I would have liked if there had been more challenges in the labyrinth leading to the Far Keep. It seemed really easy to pass through. Kami and Margaret made it seem like it was a feat no one dared face. Lena wasn't weighed down by grief for Ethan's loss. She was a bit manic in her search for any evidence Ethan was trying to communicate. I guess I would be, too, if my boyfriend had died and told me he would try to speak to me in the afterlife.

Many previous characters were found in this book. I am so glad that all the relationships worked out in the end. Ridley and Link, Liv and John, Lena and Ethan...it seemed everyone got their happily ever after. Amma found her peace, as did Ethan's dad, Marion, and everyone in Gatlin. As cheesy as it may seem, all these characters deserved happiness. I have loved them so much. This was an amazing series that I will never regret reading.

The Cover: I don't really understand the staircase.

No comments:

Post a Comment