Sunday, August 11, 2013

From What I Remember... by Stacy Kramer & Valerie Thomas

Genre: comedy, social issues
Series and Book #: none
Pages: 462
Summary:

Kylie: Mexico? What a nightmare! I should be putting the finishing touches on my valedictorian speech. Graduation is TODAY! Wait! Is this a wedding band on my finger??
 
Max: It started with Kylie’s laptop and a truck full of stolen electronics, and it ended in Ensenada. It was hot, the way she broke us out like some chick in an action movie. But now we’re stranded here, with less than twenty-four hours before graduation.
 
Will: Saving Kylie Flores from herself is kind of a full-time occupation. Luckily, I, Will Bixby, was born for the job. And when I found out she was stuck in Mexico with dreamy Max Langston, sure, I agreed to bring their passports across the border—but there’s no reason to rush back home right away. This party is just getting started.
 
Lily: This CANNOT be happening. It’s like some cruel joke. Or a bad dream. I close my eyes, and when I reopen them, they’re still there. Max and Kylie Flores, freak of the century. In bed together. If Kylie thinks I’m giving him up without a fight, she’s dead wrong.
 
----------

The events of this book snowballed: first its Kylie and Max at the café, then they're chasing after the guy who stole Kylie's laptop, then they're following the U-Haul truck, sneaking in, and being shipped past the Mexican border, stealing the U-Haul and driving to Ensenada...and that's just the beginning! It was a fast, funny ride!

Max and Kylie are very sincere characters; however, the way they talked took away from any emotional scenes between the two of them. Sure, teenagers will mumble and use way too many "likes" and "you knows" but that doesn't mean its the entirety of their vocabulary. The conversations they had made them sound vapid which contradicted their thoughts.

The biggest character development happened to Kylie. I loved that she learned to let go while she was with Max. An uptight main character is difficult, at least for me. I always just want to them to try something, to go through with the stupid idea, etc. I totally understand her anger toward Max when he denies anything happens between the two of them, but I don't think she should have let him go so easily. Max was made to seem like the dumb jock, but then Stacy and Valerie made him extremely literate...and that's where it stopped. Sure, he was the responsible one in Mexico, but once he was back with Lily he regressed to his beginning dumb-jock self. I wish there would have been a more significant change in his personality. If I was supposed to feel sympathy for Lily, I didn't. Her complaining about how she lost the family fortune wasn't all that terrible; people have it worse. She didn't need the fancy clothes, cars, and houses. Her materialistic attitude didn't change at all. Will was a great character who served his purpose but I don't know how much he needed to change vs. how he was needed to give us perspective on the events happening in the book. Same with Jake.

Wow...that was a lot. The plotline of From What I Remember... was great but the writing left something to be desired. A great summer read.

The Cover: I like how each character is portrayed and all with different expressions. Will (boy, far left) looks as if he could care less. Kylie's frustrated. Max is trying to explain to Lily, who isn't taking his crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment