Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Body Finder (Body Finder #1) by Kimberly Derting

Genre: teen mystery
Series and Book #: Body Finder, book 1
Pages: 336
Synopsis: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feeling for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies--or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer--and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer...and becoming his prey herself.

--------

Although everyone said that The Body Finder was a fantastic read, I didn't quite agree. Although I loved the plot line, and the concept, I didn't like Derting's writing. I felt it was drawn out and that there was too much enunciation in the words. I also felt she should have focused more on the murders than Jay and Violet's relationship.

The Body Finder was a very creative book. A girl that could sense echoes of the dead? I was hooked. But when it turned out to be more of a love story than a mystery novel, I quickly lost interest. Although towards the end, when the climax finally started to peak, I found myself wanting to read it more and more.

Overall, I thought that The Body Finder didn't quite live up to my expectations. I expected more action, with a awesome romance tied in. The side characters were cute, funny, and very interesting. I found myself enjoying Violet's interactions with her friends more than her moments alone or with Jay. Not one of my favorites, but I may pick up the sequel.

The Cover: I think it catches the novel perfectly. The flower blooming makes it seem like it's an echo of a dead body. I think the eerie blue against the black was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment