Thursday, May 19, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Genre: teen social issues
Series and Book #: none
Pages: 470
Synopsis: What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.
 
Instead, it turns out to be her last.
 
Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

--------

One of the best books I've ever read. Ever. Oliver's writing is lyrical but easy to understand. She's realistic in her view of high school and doesn't skim over the provocative conversations and suggestions.

Samantha was a very real character. At first, she was stuck up and worried about her social standpoint in in life. She was nervous about her big night with her boyfriend, and annoyed with her used-to-be friend Kent. She agreed with her best friend Lindsay on everything, and was included into chants of Psycho with a girl, Juliet Sykes, whom Lindsay hates. But when she dies, and relives her day seven times, she changes dramatically. I love how Oliver makes her changes subtly at first, and then towards the end more noticeable. It gives let's you say, "Wow. She has changed."

Overall, I loved this book. Lauren Oliver is definitely an author that I'm going to read more from. Her writing was amazing and understandable, and her characterisation was spot on. The books progression was perfect and the climax was amazing. Friends who had read the book said I'd hate the ending, but actually, I liked it. I thought it was exactly the type of thing Samantha would do after her experiences. This was a wonderful book. Definitely add it to your MRL and TBR piles.

The Cover: Not one of my favorites, but I still like it. I think it captures the falling with the model lying in the grass, but I don't like the close up of the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment