Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Heist Society (Heist Society #1) by Ally Carter

Genre: adventure
Series and Book #: Heist Society #1
Pages: 287
Synopsis:

When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected.

Soon, Kat’s friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back to the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster’s priceless art collection has been stolen and he wants it returned. Only a master thief could have pulled off this job, and Kat’s father isn’t just on the list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.

For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it’s a spectacularly impossible job? She’s got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully, just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family’s (very crooked) history—and with any luck, steal her life back along the way.

--------

I've read Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl Series (except for the more recent novel Only the Good Spy Young) and I loved those. This was another stunning debut from Ally. I love a great con, as I mentioned in my review of White Cat by Holly Black, and this definitely lived up to my standards.

Kat was a great MC. You understood the way she resisted Hale when he came to ask her for help with the con that she really wanted to leave "the life" when she joined Colgan School. But I loved the joy she felt when she was involved in the con and I loved the people who helped her along the way. Hale, her best friend; Gabrielle, her perfect cousin; the Bagshaw brothers, two very mischievous boys; and Simon, a completely nervous wreck. I loved the way Ally brought everything together and explained everyone. But sometimes I was really confused about what she was talking about. It seemed to me that she was sharing a inside joke with the novel and I wasn't a part of it.

The heist was amazing. Ally explained the mastermind behind it and she told us every detail about what was happening when it was happened. She also added just enough twists to keep you interested until the end, where she added just a twinge of mystery to keep you excited for the next novel.

Overall, I can't wait to read the sequel! I loved the con and the people in Kat's life. Ally is such a great author in creating an exciting world, both legal and not. I loved her Gallagher Girl series and I am hooked on Heist Society. The detail in every chapter, the suspense leading to the heist, and the characters in the story were all perfectly executed. Once I get my hands on Uncommon Criminals, Heist Society's sequel, I am going to pick it up with no hesitation. This was such a great novel.

The Cover: I love the missing painting in Kat's other lens and her crooked smile. It's a great fit for this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment