Friday, November 16, 2012

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Genre: paranormal romance
Series and Book #: Beautiful Creatures #1
Pages: 563
Summary:

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
 
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
 
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
 
--------

I've heard so many mixed reviews about this book that I decided to read it, and here we are. Me adding my own viewpoint into the already muddled thoughts about this novel.
 
I loved it. I really, really did. It wasn't overly mysterious that it was annoying how little I knew, but it wasn't blatantly honest about everything. The setting and the atmosphere was also deliciously dark and a bit creepy. What's more fun than reading a book about spell casters in a sleepy Southern town? Especially spell casters with a very dark past. Kami and Margaret are excellent storytellers who had ways of adding details without piling them on and who created this world full of darkness and light.
 
Ethan and Lena. Lena and Ethan. Elena. Lethan. Either way, they are so wonderful together. Lena was a beautiful character, whose complex personality only heightened Ethan's interest in her. I loved her powers and the shocking abilities she possessed. I loved the way she interacted with others, the way her bark and her bite were equally powerful. Ethan was a bit more transparent than Lena, but I loved the way he accepted everything about her with unflinching love. They were so perfect together, Lena's seeming darkness to Ethan's everlasting light.
 
Overall, I really loved this book. I don't know what else to say. Kami and Margaret reeled me in with promises of darkness and light and I received that in a novel filled with beautiful creatures. If you've heard mixed reviews as well, I'd say just read it and add your own. Sometimes the best voice is your own, as Lena's only too keen in understanding.
 
The Cover: Goodness, everything about this book is wonderful, including the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment