Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Genre: science fiction, dystopian
Series and Book #: Delirium Trilogy #2
Pages: 384
Summary:

I’m pushing aside the memory of the nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,

push,

push,

push,

like Raven taught me to do.

The old life is dead. But the old Lena is dead too.

I buried her. I left her beyond a fence, behind a wall of smoke and flame.

--------

Meh. This wasn't my favorite. First, I was confused by the then and now idea for the chapters. I thought she was going to do the same thing that she did for Delirium. Definitely added spice to the novel! I also thought Lena's romance with Julian was expected. THE END WAS SUCH A CLIFFHANGER THOUGH! Gosh, some authors really know how to rile up their readers!

The changed Lena was good. I thought she was stronger than she was in Delirium, which was excellent for the story. The complexity not only of Lena's pretending to be cured but also her loyalty to Raven's camp was blended nicely, and the way that the story intertwined gracefully at the end. I wish that Oliver would have added more about Lena's "cured" life before she trapped Julian and her together.

Overall, I think Delirium was much better. I wasn't pulled into Pandemonium. Oliver's focus on Lena wasn't what I would have liked, either. I wanted a larger glimpse into where society stood and the others around Lena more than who she was after *SPOILER ALERT!* Alex's untimely death. I liked how the roles were somewhat reversed between Lena and Julian. Now it was Lena coaxing Julian into uncured life rather than Alex coaxing Lena. A nice subtle twist ;)

The Cover: I like how Lena is peeking out from wild flowers and wild plants, giving a bow to the Wilds. I would have liked to see what they would've done if they'd continued with the cutout words

No comments:

Post a Comment