Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Genre: science fiction, dystopian
Series and Book #: Delirium Trilogy #1
Pages: 441
Summary:
Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It’s hard to be patient. It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.

--------

 HAH! I've finally gotten around to blogging around again! [Insert affectionate hugging of computer] I honestly didn't mean to be gone for as long as I was. So, if all ills are forgiven, on to the book!

Lauren Oliver enchanted me in Before I Fall. She has a lyrical way of writing that pulls you into the story and keeps you hooked within the words. I loved the concept behind her second trilogy. A word without love? Ach! How inhuman!

Oliver took this in a completely different direction than I thought she would. It was much darker than I expected, but then again, no love = dark. Her little additions, like the twisted common phrases of today and the lack of dreams for the cureds, made the story come alive. She did an excellent job of showing how society has love infused in pretty much everything.

I never connected well with Lena. She had a bleak outlook on life, and no hope that anything good would happen to her. Her and Alex's relationship moved rather quickly as well. They met, Alex reveals that he wasn't cured, and then they become romantically involved. Hana was brilliant and added a bright speck of light in Lena's otherwise dim world.

Overall, I think the concept of a loveless world was what I liked about this book most. Oliver's writing was lovely as usual but her characters didn't do anything for me. I wish there would have been more growth for Lena and Alex's relationship. The end was somewhat expected as well. Oliver's telling of Lena's world was great, though. Hana's discovery of the "rebels" beneath the government's noses is ingenious and I can't wait for where it'll take Lena in Pandemonium.

The Cover: Gorgeous! I love the bright blue and the cutout of Lena's face. Her drowsy expression was exactly what i expected for the word "delirium" 

No comments:

Post a Comment