Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Genre: sci-fi, post-apocalyptic
Series and Book #: unknown
Pages: 338
Summary:

“You can’t touch me,” I whisper.

I’m lying, is what I don’t tell him.

He can touch me, is what I’ll never tell him.

Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.

But things happened when people touch me.

Strange things.

Bad things.

Dead things.

No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans of her own. 

After a lifetime without freedom, she’s finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she’d lost forever.

--------

My favorite part of this book was the setting and the politics that Juliette is surrounded by. With most post-apocalyptic novels, life is usually seen though the eyes of a main character that thinks everything is perfect. Juliette knows that her world is corrupt and disgusting. She's raw and truthful. I love how Tahereh Mafi doesn't try to cover that up. It's very original and I love it.

Admittedly, I kind of liked Warner, even if he was a psycho maniac who had a very creepy crush on Juliette. Adam was alright. He's not one of my favorite love interests ever but the romance (and history) between him and Juliette was excellently plotted.

Overall, this is one of my favorite books. Mafi's writing is excellent. The words flow so naturally that it really seems Juliette is speaking through them. The villains were deliciously creepy and the romance was wonderfully set up. The history between Adam and Juliette was definitely a great point of this novel, making the romance richer. The whole thing was dark, romantic, and psychologically thrilling. *Squee!* was pretty much my only thought throughout this entire book!

The Cover: Sharp and eye-catching. The whole image just grabs your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment