Sunday, March 25, 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

Genre: sci-fi, dystopian
Series and Book #: Legend #1
Pages: 305
Summary:

Once known as the western coast of the United States, the Republic is now a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors, the Colonies.

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a military prodigy. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country, she is being groomed from success in the Republic’s highest circles.

Born in the slums of the Republic’s Lake Sector, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered, and Day becomes the prime suspect. Now, caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in the race for his family’s survival, while June tries desperately to avenge Metias’s death.

But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep its secrets.
---------

Ohmygosh. June and Day each had their own, singular voice that I think Marie Lu did an excellent job writing. June was more calculating and observant whereas Day was hesitant and blunt.

The world that Day and June live in was wonderfully written. I loved how everything was explained. Marie Lu didn't spare details during the Skiz fights, the sectors, and the government buildings. I could see everything she was describing, which is the best thing of a book. I love the setting of books no matter what I read. If there is strong writing when it comes to setting, I immediately fall head-over-heels for it!

I wish that June's strength would have been constant throughout the book. I felt that once she met Day, all of her skills vanished and her resolve crumbled. I wanted there to be more examples of the techniques she'd picked up in the military. Same with Day. At the beginning, June describes all of these amazing feats that Day had completed, but I never experienced any of them.

Overall, the setting and the characters of this novel were well written. Lu's descriptions of the places and people June and Day meet was exceptional. I found myself pulled into the story. There wasn't as much romance as I was told there would be. It was all more towards the end, and still then June didn't know if she could trust Day and vice versa. The characters voices had a lot of heart behind them as well. I found myself caring for Day's family and June's brother. I also loved the undercurrent of government corruption. Can't wait for the sequel!

The Cover: LOVE the Republic seal, shiny metal, and gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment