Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies #2) by Pittacus Lore

Genre: adventure and science fiction
Series and Book #: Lorien Legacies #2
Pages: 406
Synopsis:

I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.

 Number Two in England.

 And Number Three in Kenya.

 They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight.

--------

*Squee!* Gosh, I loved I Am Number Four, both the movie and the book. I was anxiously awaiting The Power of Six, and it delivered big time. Huge battle scenes in greater number than before, more of the Garde, and of course Four. This was told from the point of view of Number Four and Number Seven.

Pittacus describes Spain and Number Seven's (or Marina's) predicament. Unlike Henri and Four, Seven and her Cepan were cast out of tons of homes before they were sheltered in a convent/orphanage in Santa Teresa, Spain. Seven's Cepan doesn't help her like Henri did Four, and so she's grown up discovering her Legacies by herself. She was a very independent, very curious character and I liked her. But I thought she was weak by her lack of training and skill when battling Mogadorians.

Four's just as amazing as ever. On the run with Sam, Six, and Bernie Kosar, Four gets into more battles than in I Am Number Four because the Mogs track and catch up to him, and the police are out looking for him. There's so much more we discover in this novel as Four starts to explore different things that Henri kept from him--like his Chest. He finds more and more things in his Chest that lead them to finding the other Garde, like Number Nine!

Overall, a great installment to the series. Action, adventure, and great character building really made this a wonderful novel. I can't wait to read the next!

The Cover: Less dramatic than the first, but it reflects Number Seven's Legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment