Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Genre: romance
Series and Book #: Starcrossed #1
Pages: 487
Synopsis:

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it’s getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she’s haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood…and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they’re destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeated throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

--------

Originally, I wasn't going to read this book. I thought that there were too many Greek mythology spin-offs, and I really thought this was going to be just like the rest. But it was so different. The mythology and how it connected to Helen and the Delos family went deeper than the surface that I've seen in others.

Helen was a good MC. She wasn't my favorite. I always love MC's that are brave and proud of themselves, but Helen was just...blah. At the beginning of the novel, she's self-conscious and she doesn't put out her full potential. Understandably, she was under a curse that her mother placed on her when she was young, but she could have stood up straighter and at least be seen. When the Delos' comes to Nantucket, you see a change with her. When she sees how they act, and compares it to how she acts, she stands up straight, doesn't let the bullies at school get to her, and starts to recognize her talents and potential. I loved Helen much more at the end of the book.

I am a hopeless romantic. It's true--and it's ridiculous. I hate, hate, HATE when romances go awry. This was just crawling with little opportunities to split Helen and Lucas up. **CAUTION: SPOILER ALERT!** For those of you who've read City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, it was just like what happened between Clary and Jace. For those of you who haven't, well...sorry, but no spoilers!

Overall, amazing romance. Just amazing. I wish Helen was more confident than she was, and the characters a bit more in touch with what had happened. I found that I'd realize so many things before the characters, and it started to grate on my nerves. More often than not, I'd yell at the book: "OH MY GODS, REMEMBER...???" I can't wait for the sequel, just to see what happens with Helen and Lucas, and to find out what the prophecy means... :)

The Cover: Beautiful. You can't see it in the picture, but the sky and water changes colors if you move it in and out of the light. Pretty, shiny cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment